George Edward Peters, son of the late Henry and Sarah Peters, was born
in Antigua, British West Indies. He departed this life January 30, 1965, at Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
His father was a minister of the Moravian Church and also principal of the Moravian Parochial School. George was reared in a religious atmosphere. Before he could read, he was taught a scripture text each morning which he had to recite at family worship.
The family accepted the Seventh-day Adventist message when George was 13 years of age. He and his mother were baptized in the faith at the same
After his father's death, George left for Trinidad, remaining there for several years. He then went to Panama where he acquired sufficient funds to take him to Oakwood College in Huntsville, Alabama. While in Panama, he formed the acquaintance of a young girl, Miss Ethel Espeut, who in about six months became his wife.
He entered denominational work in the South serving in tent efforts. After
laboring there for 12 years, he was advanced to the responsibilities of union evangelist. While serving in this capacity, he baptized 245 persons
in a single meeting.
He was called to the pastorate of the Chicago church in 1922. God richly blessed his labors there. He held three tent efforts and built a new church edifice, known as the Shiloh SDA Church. There he added 500 members.
In 1929, he was elected to the office of Secretary of the Colored Department of the General Conference. At the General Conference session the following year, he expressed a burden to return to evangelism and asked to be relieved of his responsibility.
He was immediately called to labor in New York City. There he ministered for 9 years and was responsible for the beginning of the largest Adventist Negro church in America, which he named Ephesus. During his ministry there he added over 800 members.
In 1939, he requested the conference to secure a change of field, as the rebuilding of the work in New York had begun to have its effects on him physically. He was called to Philadelphia where he pastored the Ebenezer Church for two and one half years. At the General Conference session in 1941, he was again elected to the responsibility of Secretary of the Colored Department of the General Conference. He carried this responsibility until 1950, when he was elected to the added responsibility of World Field Secretary of the General Conference. He carried both responsibilities faithfully and untiringly until 1953, when the condition of his health was so grave that of his own volition he requested retirement, after having served the denomination for 45 years.
He was the first editor of the INFORMANT. The INFORMANT as a printed subscription paper had its beginning about the year 1944.
Upon his retirement, he located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Though
retired he remained active, giving inspiration and counsel to both ministers and administrators.
He leaves to mourn their loss, his faithful and devoted wife, Ethel, two nephews, four nieces, several grand nieces and nephews, sons and daughters by adoption, other relatives and a host of friends.
-North American Informant, March-April 1965, pg. 1